1.27.2011

Cooking for One

Mmmm Stir Fry (not mine though)
I love to cook.  My Uncle Gerry calls me "Rachael Ray" every time I'm in the kitchen.  And ever since Troy and I moved in together, we've probably prepared and enjoyed a home-cooked meal five nights a week.  But now that it's just me, my motivation has taken a big, fat nose-dive.  Not because I want to indulge and eat McDonald's every night, but because part of why I love cooking is to share it with others and give them a meal that's satisfying and tasty.

Out of the seven nights that I've been on my own, I think I've only made dinner for myself two times.  To say I've been slacking is an understatement, and tonight, I decided it was time to get my groove back.  

As part of my pre-wedding slim down, I've given up eating most starches and carbs.  I know, a terrible decision, and one that has kept me away from one of my favorite types of food: Asian.  How can you possibly enjoy it sans rice and those amazing deep-fried egg rolls?  I decided that I couldn't let this diet get the best of me, so I decided to try a stir fry that was good and good for you.  Below is my quick and easy carb-free chicken stir fry, which was so delish, I promise, you won't even miss the rice.  

Ingredients:
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups frozen stir fry vegetables
- 1/4 cup frozen, shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup store-bought peanut sauce

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Mince the garlic and add.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and add, cooking each side for 3-4 minutes.  Remove from pan and add zucchini (also seasoned with salt and pepper).  After 2 minutes, add the  frozen veggies and edamame.  Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 4-6 mins.

This next step is important: be sure to drain the excess liquid from the pan.  If you don't, your stir fry will get soggy and your peanut sauce will be runny.  Once the veggies are drained, add the chicken back in and the peanut sauce.  Mix well (I find tongs work best) and cook uncovered for another 3 minutes as you allow the flavors to combine.  

And then, TA-DA!  A yummy stir fry dinner (without the carbs) for one!    I'm sorry there's no picture of my delicious meal -- I thought about taking one after I was finished devouring my dish.  And even though it may look like a lot of food for one person at first, the veggies cook down and it's all healthy stuff; so there's no need to feel guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment